July 29, 2012

You asked for it... Recipe for Finnish Mocha Squares


Happy Sunday dear friends!

Thank you for all the sweet comments on my previous post! As a thank you, I'm making an exception and posting a non-vegan and non-healthy recipe, the recipe for the traditional Finnish mocha squares you saw on the previous post. The mocha squares were a special treat for my husband, because - well, that's what us wives do :-)

On that note, you could always make this vegan by using egg substitutes, non-dairy milk and vegan butter. You could also try the slightly healthier version, recipe here.

PS. My apologies for the crappy iphone photo!

Finnish Mocha Squares
(Recipe adapted from Kotiruoka)

4 (organic, free-range) eggs
270g (raw caster sugar) sugar
150g (unsalted organic) butter
200ml (organic) milk
1/2 teaspoon ground pure vanilla
3 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder
350g (organic) plain flour

Topping

280g (natural) icing sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder
1/2 teaspoon ground pure vanilla
50g (unsalted organic) butter
4 tablespoons strong coffee

desiccated coconut, to decorate

1. Preheat oven to 200C and line a large (18cm x 27cm) baking dish with baking paper.

2. Beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy. Add melted, cooled-down butter. 

3. Mix vanilla, baking powder, cacao powder and plain flour in a separate bowl. 

4. Add the dry ingredients (through a sieve) into the egg and sugar mixture alternately with milk. Fold carefully after each addition to mix.

5. Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and the cake feels firm to touch. Leave to cool slightly.

6. To prepare the topping, sieve icing sugar and cacao powder into a bowl. Add vanilla, warm, melted butter and hot coffee. Stir into a thick(ish) paste (it shouldn't be too runny). Spread the topping on top of the cake, sprinkle with coconut and leave to cool before cutting. These cakes can be frozen.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, these are childhood to me, so delicious and good! Have a great Sunday Maria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, me too! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday! x

      Delete
  2. Those squares look divine! A wonderful treat.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do adore a good mocha-flavoured treat, with its bittersweet depth. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Looks like a each one would provide a blissful bite! I like the coconut on top! Thanks for sharing... You are such a good wife! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kokosrutor, as we call them in Sweden is what made me start liking coconut. When I want to endulge in a sugary sweet treat these are one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want the unhealthy version! They look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks deliciously moist and it's wonderful that it's healthy too. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Well this isn't exactly healthy, but there's a link to that healthier version too ;-)

      Delete
  8. Even for a non-cake-eater these look delightfully moist and appetizing :) !

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to indulge yourself every now and then! The unhealthy version looks just fine to me :) I'm always on the lookout for desserts with coffee because I'm convinced it's the best combo. I'll be making this soon, they look simple and delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always have to think about my childhood when I see these. They were a stable at every birthday party! Yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! I'm always excited to try new Finnish recipes--call it my soft spot for your beautiful, colorful homeland--so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm pretty sure I've eaten these before and they were YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ihania herkkuja sulla täällä! Laitan blogisi vaklauslistalleni. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's no cooking time! help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele,

      It's difficult to say exactly since every oven is different. I'd say check after 25-30 minutes.

      Maria

      Delete